Providing individual, couples and family counseling and life coaching in the greater Rochester, NY area for over 35 years
Agape's mission is to impact the Greater Rochester, NY area by providing excellent professional counseling and effective life coaching that integrates Biblical truth with proven methods of psychological healing in order that individuals find spiritual, emotional and psychological wholeness.
Agape is a non-denominational, non-profit organization and views its mission field as supplemental to the work of established Christian churches of all denominations. As a supportive arm of the church, we provide services to local churches as well as many other organizations like employers, schools and physicians. In addition to counseling, we provide seminars, workshops and consultations.
Agape is also incorporated under the laws of New York State as a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation. We are firmly committed to good stewardship of funds entrusted to us. To insure our financial accountability, we belong to the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. We fully support the purpose and goals of the ECFA and display its seal proudly to reflect compliance with its membership standards.
Agape was founded in 1978 by seven volunteer counselors and a few courageous clients and has developed into a mature counseling agency providing some of the best professional counseling available in the Rochester, NY area. Begun under the auspices of a local church, Agape moved to its first free-standing site six years ago and quickly grew out of that space on the eastside of Rochester. Through a close partnership with Pearce Memorial Church in North Chili, Agape opened a second office and has continued to grow leaps and bounds on the west side of the city. In addition, another church partnership led to being able to offer counseling one day each week in Greece. In 2010, Agape expanded its North Chili offices, opened its new Batavia office and moved into its current headquarters at Willow Pond Office Park in Penfield.
As a mature organization, we continue to expand our vision in services, personnel and locations, but our goal remains the same - to be burden bearers with the wounded.
Our Psychological Model
Agape is committed to a philosophy of Christian counseling that integrates Biblical truth with the healing process, having a goal to help each person become whole and achieve his or her emotional and spiritual maturity.
Biblically, we believe:
- The Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- In one God (eternally) existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- In the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His death as atonement for the sins of all who believe in Him, in His bodily resurrection and ascension into heaven, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- That man was created in the image of God, and that he sinned and thereby incurred not ony physical dealth but also spiritual death, which is separation from God.
- That all who become children of God must receive by faith Jesus Christ, and be born of the Spirit, and must personally accept His sacrifice as justification for their sin on the grounds of His shed blood.
- In the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, and the commitment we share to spead His Word and to minister to the needs of one another.
Psychologically, we believe:
- Each person has specific concerns that must be addressed individually; therefore we are familiar with, trained in and draw intentionally from a variety of approaches including Psychodynamic, Cognitive-behavioral, Family systems and Person-centered models.